The cortisol awakening response (CAR) provides advanced insight into your stress response and adrenal function. This at-home saliva test provides us with helpful information to help create the best hormone treatment plan for cortisone/cortisol imbalances.
The Cortisol Awakening Response (CAR) test kit includes:
- Easy-to-follow Directions and Requisition Form
- (6) Salivette™ Saliva Collection Tubes
- Resealable Plastic Bag
- Return Envelope with Paid Return Label (Domestic Only)
The results include:
- Analysis of cortisol awakening response (CAR) from cortisone and cortisol
- Graphical representation of results
- Provider notes with specific additional information created specifically for the patient
What is Cortisol Awakening Response, and how is it tested?
When we open our eyes upon waking, cortisol levels naturally begin to rise by an average of 50%. 30 minutes after waking, cortisol levels will still show this sharp increase. By 60 minutes after waking, cortisol levels have peaked and begin to decline. Measuring this rise and fall of cortisol levels at waking can be used as a “mini stress test.” Research shows that the size of this increase correlates with the HPA-axis function, even if the sample measurements are all within range. A quick saturation of saliva swabs upon waking, and at 30 and 60 minutes after waking, provide what is required to assess a patient’s Cortisol Awakening Response.
See the Cortisol Awakening Response test kit instructions here.
Do you have questions about our hormone testing and treatment? Contact @EVOLVE Patient Care to receive the best support from our team of HRT experts.